Wednesday 16 October 2013

Hawthornden Fellowship

A Hawthornden Fellowship is something I've dreamt about for a while now - the chance to spend a solid month writing in Hawthornden Castle, near Edinburgh, in the company of other writers... well, who wouldn't fancy that? I'm therefore hugely thrilled to have won a fellowship for next year - lucky me. If you want to know more about Hawthornden, Vanessa Gebbie wrote a wonderful blog post about her time there (there's another post from Camille DeAngelis here - look at the beautiful wintry photo of the trees in the ravine). So you can see why I'm excited - a month writing, no/few distractions, meals provided (including lunch brought to your room)... can't wait. It will be a great opportunity for me to work hard on the novel and to get it looking something like a novel... that's what I hope anyway. I'm also really excited to find out who I'll be there with too. I'll write about my fellowship after I've been sometime early next year - many thanks to the admissions committee for choosing my application.

7 comments:

  1. This is fabulous news Andrea, many, many congratulations! You must be beside yourself with excitement. Just the thought of no interruptions or demands for a day thrills me with delight – a whole month: wow! Have a wonderful time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - I'm very lucky! Thanks, Jacky. Hope your writing is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many many congratulations!!! I hope you have a wonderfully productive time there and I look forward to hearing all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. That's wonderful news. You will be able to make huge strides with your novel in perfect peace and tranquillity.

    I'm so enjoying The Red Room. It's a beautiful book and the stories are brilliant. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Laura and Joanna. So glad you're enjoying Red Room - many thanks for getting hold of a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you find an application Joanna?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michaela, You have to write to the address here and request an application form: http://www.writersservices.com/reference/hawthornden-castle-fellowship It's then just a case of filling it in and posting it back. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete